The Andaman and Nicobar Islands is a mysterious land shimmer in the Bay of Bengal. The islands are more popular for its inaccessibility for centuries. The thick forests which coat these islands make the destination perfect for nature and peace lovers. The countless striking flowers, animals and birds make an extremely poetic and idealistic atmosphere. The silver sand beaches with the palm tree on the edge of coastal line add more rhythm to the sea. The bang of tribal musical instrument haunts the quietness and the multicolor fishers steer the beauty of the Andaman Sea. The strangers from all over the world made a huge impact on Andaman and Nicobar culture.
The history of the Andaman and Nicobar islands starts in the first millennium. The Chinese named the island as Yeng t Omag. The island also took part in the world first map. The Persian geographer tagged the island as fortune islands in the sixth century. The Arab travelers during the eight century mentioned the islands as lakhabalus. The history dates back as the East India Company occupied this place as their territory. The East India Company recognized a punishing outpost where criminals convict for offenses against them. The Andaman and Nicobar Island was fully colonized by the British people and Portuguese naval force after defeating the Kanhoji Angre sovereignty.
Andaman and Nicobar Islands are the popular traveler’s destination in India for the people in search of peace and comfort.
People: The native person of Andaman and Nicobar Islands are tribal communities. This tribal’s are one of the oldest tribal communities in the world.
Language and religion: the peoples are mostly residing in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands are from the mainland. The place is known for various religions and languages.
Local Festivals & Art and music: Many festivals are celebrated in Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The tribal culture and music are most famous in this island.
Food: Andaman and Nicobar Islands are very famous for its seafood. The famous foods available in all hotels are south Indian food and Chinese recipes.
Travel within the city:
Andaman and Nicobar Islands is a beautiful land of stunning landscape and long silver beaches. Walking is an excellent way to explore the beauty of the city. Buses from Port Blair connect the entire major place in Andaman. The boats with bus parking facility are used as linking medium for connecting the roadways between two islands.
New Lighthouse Restaurant: The open air seafood restaurants place is an ideal place for travelers to enjoy the amazing dishes while sitting in their car. The grilled fish is most popular dish in the restaurants.
Waves: The open air restaurants in the opposite of coast make this ideal for travelers to enjoy their cuisine.
Andaman and Nicobar Islands are a treasure house for the travelers to get various man made handicrafts and souvenir items. The government owns an emporium called Sagarika in the center of Port Blair. This is an excellent place for travelers to buy various handicrafts and shell item at an affordable price. The emporium provides lively hood for the people in the Andaman.
Weather and Best Time to Visit:
Andaman has a modest temperature all over the year usually the temperature ranges from 23°C to 31°C. The season is warm but excellent with the sea breeze. The humidity level is 80% and ideal for all kinds of tourist activities. The winter season between the December and February is not too chilly and its excellent time for travelers to visit this city.
How to Reach By:
By Air: Port Blair the capital city of Andaman and Nicobar Islands is connected with Chennai and Kolkata airport round the year. It usually takes 6 hours to reach Port Blair by air and it takes 8 hours from Kolkata.
By Seaways: Regular traveler ship services are obtainable to Port Blair from Chennai, Calcutta and Vishakhapatnam and back. The ship travel is very reasonable compared to the air travel to reach Andaman.
1. Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park: Mahatma Gandhi Marine Park is located 29 Km away from the Port Blair and it extends up to the 281.5 Sq. Kms. The park is made up of an open sea, 15 small islands and creeks.
2. Gandhi Park: This gorgeous park at Port Blair has amenities like enjoyment rides, and nature trail around the lake, garden safe water sports and restaurant. The place is very famous for its historic monuments and temples. The total area of this Gandhi Park is developed in the shortest period of time that to within 13 days.
3. Sippighat Farm: The farm is a research and development center of Andaman. The main intention of this park is to cultivate the rare plants and spices to make the Andaman rich and wealthy. The center is responsible for the Andaman Islands vegetation and agriculture.
4. Chidiya Tapu: this place is located 25 km from the astonishing city Port Blair. The Chidiya Tapu is the southernmost tip of South Andaman. The place is very famous among the travelers for its scenic beauty, exciting landscape and beautiful lush green environments.
5. Collinpur: Collinpur is a beautiful sandy beach with the shallow water. The place is very ideal for travelers willing to enjoy various water sport activities like swimming, viewing sunset and sun basking. It’s one of the most beautiful beaches in Andaman region.
6. Cellular Jail: The cellular jail is punishment outpost established by the British India management. Later this jail become as a burial ground for several Indians. Cellular Jail is well known for unkind tortures to prisoners. This jail was firstly used to hold supporters of the 1857 Revolt then changed as Prison for Indian Freedom fighters.
7. Ross Island: this island is located very near to the Port Blair main city. This island is considered as the official residence of British rulers in Andaman. Ross Island is situated in entrance of Port Blair port. This island was the administrative headquarters of British Colonial Rulers.
8. Mount Harriet: this is beautiful island having the highest mountain in Andaman. This city is located 50 kilometers from the capital city of Andaman Port Blair. The beautiful city is considered as the headquarters of this island during the British period.
9. Cinque Island: The lure of submarine coral gardens and untouched beaches particularly sand bars joining the two islands make this place more stunning. This island provides peaceful resort in the coastal line of untouched beach and uncontaminated environment. Camp ability is obtainable near Radhanagar beach.
10. Neil Island: the island is located 36 kilometers from the capital city Port Blair. This good-looking island with flourishing green woodland and sandy beach is the vegetable bowl of Andaman and Nicobar islands. The island is connected with boats and ferries from Port Blair.
11. Long Island: the long island is located 82 kilometers from the Port Blair. The island is connected by the boats and ferries. The island is a beautiful place with lots of coastal lines all over it. The sea around the island is frequented by dolphin convoys.
12. Rangat: The Rangat is a beautiful city located in the middle Andaman. The city is 170 kilometers away from port Blair. One can take pleasure in the calm village life and the loneliness of the virgin natural world here.
13. Mayabunder: Mayabunder is the northern most tip of the middle Andaman. This city is 242 kilometers away from the beautiful Port Blair. Seaways are excellent options to reach Mayabunder than the roadways. It’s one of the popular terminals where the ships from Kolkata halt here.
14. Andaman Museums: The Andaman and Nicobar Island is very famous it’s various museums. Here are some popular museums in Andaman. The Anthropological Museum is dedicated to the tribal peoples residing in Andaman for several years.
15. Adventure Sports: The Andaman and Nicobar Island is home to several adventurous Watersports activities throughout the year. The long beaches beep crystal clear water and amazing weather makes this place ideal for all Watersports activities.